Monday, March 30, 2015

Diversity instead of disability

The more I read about inclusive design, universal design, accessibility etc, I realize that we focus too much on peoples cognitive or motoric functionality, rather than the overall situation, the surrounding culture, expectations that may cause diversity, affect cognition and motoric possibilities etc.

 Also, I don't understand the difference between funktionnedsättning eller funktionshinder. To me they sound equally negative. I prefer funktionsvariation (functional variations), but that limits the understanding as belonging to the person instead of a situation.

I think it is the overall situations we need to address and understand, rather than people's cognitive and physical abilities.

For example, people need different solutions in order to feel compentent, be social, and enjoy a situation. Design can be more or less supportive in that. By focusing on understanding use and use situations, rather than people...


No comments: